First written records about the library date back to 1851. With the proclamation of King Petar I in 1909, the Library was established as a Public library. Since then our Library has experienced many changes.
Today, the Public Library ‘Radislav Nikcevic’ in Jagodina is a modern institution with a long tradition and heritage. It is the main library in the Pomoravlje district, and as such represents library and information center of the region.
The Library fund consists of nearly 100,000 science and art books. Among them, there are 13 cultural monuments, 120 old books printed at the end of the 19th century, and 260 rare copies printed during the wars. The oldest book that the Library possesses is the second volume of the book ‘The Life of Peter the Great’ by Zaharije Orfelin from 1772. ‘The Life of Peter the Great’ is one of the most decorated books in the 18th century. It is the first Slavic monograph, and at the same time, one of the greatest works in Serbian baroque historiography.
The modernization process and technological progress started in 1994 with the first computer network with Novell DOS system and Biblio program. One of the most important achievements of the Library was the introduction of information technology. The Library started computerization in 1994 with four computers. In the meantime, every year the Library was modernized as much as possible, so in 2004 it joined Cobiss OPAC platform, which gathered all libraries in the South-Eastern Europe. The Library ‘ Radislav Nikcevic’ started digitalization of library material in 2006. The collection of the scanned material from the local department contains 84 digital copies, and it was put on the National Library of Serbia website. Our Library is in the process of making the software for digitalization of Jagodina’s cultural heritage, first of its kind in Serbia.
Today, The Public Library of Jagodina is a modern institution that possesses 27 computers, A3 scanners and other accessories. Also, the Library tends to serve the following population in Jagodina through the development and improvement of all the existing services: preschool-age children, school-age children, teenagers, adult users, senior citizens, students, different profession residents, scholars, etc. The Library has the extensive network of public and village libraries, so they can provide services to agricultural producers as well.
The Library has a total of 27 employees, most of whom have university degrees.
The complete work process is automated, and all departments in the Library have computers. Main library services include: loan departments, reading room with first copy, interlibrary loan, public Internet access, etc.
Bagrdan is a village near Jagodina in the Pomoravlje disctrict.Today, Bagrdan is located at the crossroads between Jagodina, Lapovo, Nis and Belgrade.It used to be the important stop on the road to Constantinople. Since 1841 it has been a little town and the municipal center. It is located on the left bank of the Velika Morava river, at the northern end of Bagrdanska gorge, and at the lower course of the Osipaonica river, which flows into the Velika Morava river.
Name and history
The Osaonica river divides this little town into two parts, which used to be two separate villages:Koprivnica, in Jagodina’s nahiya (a Serbian village, first mentioned in 1381 in the letter of king Lazar to the Ravanica monastery) and Deva Bagrdan (Kamilje Pojhilo), a Turkish town in Kragujevac’s nahiya, which was mentioned for the first time by the travel writer Jerotije Racanin in 1074.
In 1881 the town of Bagrdan and the Koprivnica village merged into one town named Bagrdan, but the differences between their inhabitants remained. Koprivnica kept its name, its cemetery, its feasts and holidays, and Bagrdan kept its as well.
Jovan Milosavljevic, a national hero, was born in Bagrdan on 9th January 1919.
According to the 2002 census, Bagrdan has a population of 890 (according to the 1991 census, it had the population of 1025)
743 adult inhabitants live in Bagrdan, and the average age of the population is 44.8 (44.5 for men and 45.0 for women) There are 350 households, and the average number of people per household is 2.54.
According to the 2002 census, it is mostly inhabited by Serbs.
Historical development of Bagrdan
Constantinople road (Via militaris- Military road) which, from time immemorial, followed Morava valley and connected not only the old Singidunum (later known as Belgrade) with Constantinopole, but it also was the backbone of all major historical events for the last couple of millennia.
Even Herodotus, while sailing on the Ister (the Danube), mentioned Brongos (the Velika Morava River) and Tribalska valley.
Over the Greek and Roman era, when Gornja and Donja Mezija were very developed, then over the medieval Serbia and its ascent, over the Turkish rule and liberation wars, we come to 1884 when the iron road-railway was drawn along the valley of the Morava river, which meant that Constantinople road lost its importance and became a part of history.
First it was a main road, but when the modern motor way was built, the main road mostly disappeared. Its remains can be seen at a few places surrounded by woods and weed. Many people used to walk along the Constantinople road: individuals, groups, military formations, whether to devastate or kill (Huns), or to protect (Roman legions) and to conquer new territories (Turkish onrush). The escort of the saint brothers Cyril and Methodius walked along this road. Cyril and Methodius the Moravian Principality brought conversion to the Slavs through the Moravian Principality, as well as literacy, and made them a part of history.
The part between Batocina and Cuprija, later Sumadija, which the Turks called “Drveno more”, was called by the French poet Lamartin “the Wild see”! On the halfway between Batocina and Cuprija, as well as between Belgrade and Nis is Bagrdan and Bagrdanski tesnac. Vuk Karadzic mentioned that three biggest towns after I Serbian rising were: Batocina, Hasan-Pasina Palanka(today Smederevska Palanka) and Deve-Bagrdan (Kamilje Pojilo). In Bagrdan, travellers stopped for a rest. A real convenience was that the Osaonica River was easy to cross because it didn’t have high banks. Later in 1848, a wooden bridge was built which has been used since then.
Bagrdanski gorge had a great strategic importance, and it is said that one of the three questions for passing the exam for an officer always had to be about this defensive area in Serbia. Today trenches from the First World War can be seen on the surrounding hills, where the last defense of Serbia was supposed to happen if it hadn’t been for the Bulgarian treason.
It can be said without exaggeration that the history of the Constantinople road is the history of Serbia and the Balkans! The key to the East and West! This is where German tendency (even in our misfortunate time) to spread to the east come from (Drang nach Osten) as well as numerous invasions of the eastern nations, especially Turkey towards west. And it always happens over our own yard!
After the Serbian-Turkish wars (1886-1888) Serbia spread southwards and prince Milan Obrenovic proclaimed the kingdom of Serbia and himself for the king. Since these were only the initial plans for liberation of Serbia, king Milan was about to move to Nis in the south, and as it was said it used to be his second-best capital. Therefore, king Milan often traveled by road to Nis and back to Belgrade.
The Osaonica river used to be the boundary between two nahiyas: Kragujevac’s and Jagodina’s one. Since the river Osaonica used to flow in the middle, the left side officially Bagrdan belonged to kragujevac’s nahiya, and the right side Koprinvica belonged to Jagodina’s nahiya.
For the past decades, the inhabitants of Bagrdan were connected with Kragujevac and had their own village’s feasts, their cemetery, etc. They were proud that it was their town which is on the maps. On the other hand, Koprivnica was connected with Jagodina and also had its feasts and cemetery. They didn’t hide the fact that Koprivnica dates back to the Middle Ages and that it was written in the charter by in 1381 king Lazar when he was determining the appendage for his monastery in Ravanica. The church, like the old, wooden one before the present one (from 1871), is on the territory of Koprivnica. It was always discussed which place is older? Jagodina was mentioned for the first time in 1411!
Bunar is a village in the municipality of Jagodina in Pomoravlje district. According to the latest census from 2002 there were 495 (according to the 1991 census there were 575 people). Until 1965 it was the headquarters of of Bunar municipality: belica, bunar,Dragocvet, Dragosevac. Unitil 1965 it was the center of the municiplality of Bunar which included: Belica, Bunar, Prnjavor, Kovacevac, Lozovik, Lukar, Medojevac, Medjurec, Misevic, Slatina, Staro Selo, Santarovac, Suljkovac, Topola and Vrba. After losing the status of municipality, the territory of the former municipality became part of the municipality of Jagodina.
Bunar is 12km away from Jagodina. Its convenient geographical location contributed to a significant development, especially between two world wars. Bunar used to be a municipality twice.
It is mostly inhabited by the Serbs. According to the last three censuses, a delcline of number of population has been noticed.
Bunar has the population of 428 adults, 49.6 is the average age (47.9 for men and 51.3 for women). There are 175 households, and the average number of people per household is 2.83.
The inhabitants of Bunar are mainly engaged in agriculture and livestock breeding, while a smaller number of them, young people mostly, work in Jagodina.
It is the only village in the surroundings that has the chemist’s and the infirmary for the patients. There is a primary school “Branko Radicevic”.
The cultural center is closed due to its bad condition, although in one part of the building is the Memorial library “Dina Tanaskovic’’ where a full-time librarian works. Adaptation and renovation of the village library are in progress and they represent the activities planned in the
There is a magnificent church “Sveti Ilija” in the village.
The village has a good infrastructure for the development and popularization of sport. There are built grounds for football, basketball, volleyball with reflectors for the night games. The football club “Omladinac” is active.
Cultural and arts society “Bunar” worked until 1950, and won many awards and then it stopped working.
Hunting association „Crni Vrh” from Bunar is the main center which gathers hunters from all over the territory.
According to the legend, a long time ago there used to be an old well in the village, so the village was named after it.
There are a few historical monuments in the village.
There is a mulberry tree, which is over 300 years old according to the inhabitants of the village. There is an old record of the church and a new zapis (sacred tree) from 1996.
The village patron is Saint Iija on 2nd August, and each year traditionally a famous fair is organized. Sretenje is a children’s feast, celebrated on 15th February.
The inhabitants celebrate another feast- Mali Spasovda which is on first Thursday after Veliki Spasovdan when zapis (a sacred tree) is visited.
There is an old mill in the village called Radojevic’s mill and it located near the village bridge.
There is also a village office which is used for the entire territory, then the post office, infirmary, agricultural pharmacy, and three shops.
The village has a lake “Potez” as well as the village fountain and a spring. Almost all roads are paved and the lightning is put in 1991. The village has a digital phone switchboard which covers the etire territory.
A man from Glavinci, Rade Milosavljevic, a publicist, author and a chess grandmaster wrote the monography about the village. First written records about the families in this area date back to 1730. The legend says that three families from Kosovo moved to the area of Glavinci, Bukovce and Kolare, so these villages have family ties. First inhabitants produced horse carts.
Glavinci is located on the main road Jagodina-Rekovac. It is 7 km away from the town center.
Glavinci is one of the few villages from which people don’t migrate to the town. Today it has a population of 600 people, and 200 households. It has 3 shops, a company “Srbija staklo”, a bakery “ Milojevic” and a few more private companies.
Cultural centre has benn adapted and renovate recently and there is a vet as well Cultural and arts society “Poselo” also exists. There is also a pensioners association “Glavinci”.
It has a village library “Narodna knjiznica” with the book fund of over 1000.
The school was completely renovated and all roads are paved.
A nurse comes to the village every Wednesday to measure blood pressue, the level of blood sugar, etc.
The village has electricity and lighting, and sewerage.
The telephone switchboard is situated in the village, therefore phone lines are very good. There is also cable television.
According to the legend at the time of children’s feast children are supposed to enter a certain hole. Children born in the village used to die, but those who entered that hole and got out of it, would stay alive and were healthy. This custom is present even today.
Glogovac is a village 8km from Jagodina. According to the census from 2002 there were 1561 people (according to the census from 1991, there were 1840 people)
There are 1249 people who live in Glogovac, and the life expectancy is 44.9(43.5 men and 46.3 women) There are 432 households in the village and the average number of people per household is 3.61.
According to the census from 2002, this village was mostly populated by the Serbs, and the last three censues register the decline in the number of people.
People are usually engaged in agriculture and cattle breeding. Glogovac has the tradition of old crafts as well as the carpentry.
The village which used to be located between Mali Popovic and Bogava had the name Veluce. When the Turks conquered Serbia, people escaped nearer the river, where there was haw and the village was named after haw.
Deonica is 7km away from Jagodina.It is devided in two parts:old village that has five or six houses and new Deonica that is a lot bigger. Deonica is connected with Siokovac. And the two villages used be a one community.
Deonica has 174 households and the population of 680 people.
There is a primary school in the village (up to the 4th grade) “Bosko Djuricic”, as well as the kindergarten “Pionir” for pre-school children.
The village got its center of culture which was funded by Jagodina’s local self-government, and both Deonica and Siokovac use it. By the decision of our l lsacoelf-government, the newly-built facility will be used for a new village library.
The artistic association “Deonica”used to work, but now it is closed. Therefore, the plan is to open it again because the conditions in the cultural center are ideal for it.
The hunting section “Deonica” is active as well and it belongs to the association “Jagodina”.
There is a local office, the post office, the veterinary pharmacy and the agricultural pharmacy (for both Deonica and Siokovac).
The village has a sports field “Црни врх” Deonica –Siokovac and a sports groundмале спортове (for both Deonica and Siokovac as well).
The village has two drinking fountains, and the old municipal building is near the Ozon drinking-fountain.
Deonica has a mill, a bakery, a chicken farm “Koko Mar” and a company that produces nails. It is known for the production of watermelons and melons.
There are three shops, out of which Deonica and Siokovac share two shops.
The biggest problem for the inhabitants of the village is the Crnovrska River which flows into the Vinorcka River, which often floods.
The village has three trees called “zapis” (a sacred tree for the village, with a cross inscribed into the bark): near the old churchyard- a chestnut, near the drink-fountain – ozone, and the third was planted ten years ago.
In the old part of the village, there is a house which is 250 years old.
The village feast is Holy Trinity, which is organized and celebrated in May or June each year. The first day of the feast is celebrated in Deonica and the second in Siokovac.
All roads in the village are paved, except for 2km which will be completed soon.
The village has electricity and lighting.
The population is supplied with water from wells, except from 9 households that get water from a natural fall.
There is a monograph about the village.